Union Pacific’s 2013 Sustainability and Citizenship Report outlines the company’s progress in the areas of safety, community impact, employee engagement and environmental preservation.
Highlights from the fifth annual report include:
- Establishing a public safety grant program
- Reaching 616,330 people through about 9,000 UP CARES public safety outreach and training events
- Conducting emergency training for nearly 5,500 first responders
- Hiring approximately 3,450 employees, about 25 percent of whom are military veterans
- Spending $484 million with minority- and women-owned businesses
- Innovating to reduce environmental impact, including aerodynamic technology exploration
About Union Pacific
Union Pacific Railroad is the principal operating company of Union Pacific Corporation. One of America’s most recognized companies, Union Pacific Railroad connects 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country by rail, providing a critical link in the global supply chain. From 2004-2013, Union Pacific invested approximately $30 billion in its network and operations to support America’s transportation infrastructure. The railroad’s diversified business mix includes Agricultural Products, Automotive, Chemicals, Coal, Industrial Products and Intermodal. Union Pacific serves many of the fastest-growing U.S. population centers, operates from all major West Coast and Gulf Coast ports to eastern gateways, connects with Canada’s rail systems and is the only railroad serving all six major Mexico gateways. Union Pacific provides value to its roughly 10,000 customers by delivering products in a safe, reliable, fuel-efficient and environmentally responsible manner.
Union Pacific media contact: Elizabeth Hutchison at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-544-8433.
SOURCE Union Pacific